Friday, January 21, 2005

Where My Peace Prize...



STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

Growing up the child of educators, there was no escaping the fervent voice of my father and mother emphasizing the role of education as a vital agent in the socialization of an individual. Having the opportunity to mold students through the numerous aspects and services that are offered in the walls of higher institutional learning is one of the most self-rewarding occupations this society has to offer. Self-rewarding, in the state of knowing, that through your particular services, you are assisting in the piecing together of the future leaders of our culture, productive citizens, and most of all, human beings. I would like to be considered for admittance as a master’s candidate in the program of College Student Personell/Administration at __________________, in order to contribute to this historically exceptional environment of higher education and to further enhance my passion for the molding of our future leaders. My hope is that this opportunity will lead to a self-rewarding, life long profession.

In deciding what branch of educational aspects and services best suited my interests as a career choice, college student personnel peaked my interest the most. It was not the status of a position in higher education administration that drew me to this decision, but the challenging work that goes on behind the scenes. I was first exposed to this while volunteering as a Cultural Art Committee team member with the Student Activities Council at the University of Memphis. The Student Activities Council hosts more than 100 events each year featuring guest artists, lecturers and exhibits. I enjoyed planning and promoting events that were used as a recruitment tool for the involvement and union of the student and faculty population. It gives me a greater joy to watch how a particular event has an everlasting effect on members of that University population. Being able to serve an institution of higher education and watch the development of individuals through various services, such as Student Affairs affiliates, at a professional level, would be a dream fulfilled.

While attending the University of Memphis, I also gained exposure as a Resident Advisor in Richardson Towers, the largest dormitory on the campus. For two years, I took management of the 10th floor of Richardson Towers South and also assisted in the coordinating of programs for the entire dormitory. The 10th floor was reputably known as the ‘international student floor’. Giving the opportunity to work with this particular group of students was an eye opener by itself. Many people don’t get the opportunity to expand their appreciation for other cultures. And just being able to participate in the transformation of young men from such as Hong Kong, Brazil, South Africa, India, Malaysia, and Columbia into University of Memphis students was well worth the late night fire alarms, long front desk shifts, and the holiday duty hours.

I continued my growth of the service to my community and the University by participating in numerous organizations. I have served on the Black History Month Committee as the Publicity Chair (2001-2003), National Pan-Hellenic Council as the 2nd Vice President (2002) and Vice President (2002-2003), and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. as the Council Representative (2001) and the President (2003-2004). I also volunteered my services in other organizations and services such as the Black Student Association, NAACP, Freshmen Orientation Greek Life Consultant Staff and Residence Hall Association.

In December of 2004, I received a Bachelor of Arts in African and African American Studies with a concentration in Social and Behavioral Sciences from the University of Memphis. However, before I established the achievement of commencement, I wanted to leave a lasting print on the University of Memphis. With a large background in social and behavioral studies of the minority male and his lack of engrossment on a leadership level in the undergraduate experience, I felt I had the capability to assist in making a change for the future minority males that set foot on the University of Memphis campus. I teamed up with a number of my undergraduate peers in the chartering of a registered student organization that was created to uplift and educate young minority undergraduates in terms of leadership to accommodate their journey through collegiate career and life, in general. Empowered Men of Color (EMOC) was created to enhance minority males by providing opportunities intellectually, socially, and culturally in preparation of becoming leaders.

My ultimate goal is to leave an enduring mark in the eyes of higher education and its future. I would like to begin by lending my experience to an institution of higher learning in the capacity of Student Affairs, particularly in the Office of the Dean of Students. I want to center my time and concentration on campus community-building and the assisting of students through numerous services to expand them academically and personally to their full potential. I want to spark a path that will one day lead me to the postion of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. My mission is to be an instrument to our colleges and universities. To take them to a higher level of excellence is all I want to do.

I am not the individual with all the answers. I am not the smartest student. However, I am dedicated to helping construct the bright minds that will one day stand high in their era of higher academia and lead our world. This is my passion. I would like to bring this passion with me to your program




Gerald C. Harris
Applicant for Graduate Studies

So you be the judge...How was it? And be truthful...
I'll keep you posted

9 comments:

Fresh said...

I'd admit you. BTW, my cousin is a grad. admissions officer at a well known college down south. I know you want to be close to "her" so I'm not sure if it is a campus you have considered.

m said...

That's pretty damn good. And I'm a college prof.

Be sure to re-read it as I see some errors.

(e.g., the transformation of young men from such as)

Best wishes in the hunt!

C.R.C. said...

Really good statement. Like Dr. C said, proof-read, proof-read, proof-read, just to catch any errors. But otherwise, I thought it was very good. Looks like you were quite the busy one in undergrad :)

Shana said...

Your s.o.p. has given me some great ideas. I'm in the process of having to write my own (I'm applying to grad school at Mississippi State in order to obtain a masters degree in Instructional Technology). I think this s.o.p. was great. . . It will surely impress those who read it.

Toya said...

i dont know much about these type of letters ebcause i havent even researched any grad school's yet. I dont know how they should be structured but to me this letter seems to be really good. It seems sincere. Congrats on graduating because i didnt know you were. I guess thats where you was at all of that time. I think that you should be able to get in with this letter. May you have God's favor in this. :-)

Dayrell said...

Sounds good G.C. REAL good. Congrads! I would take the advice of the professor to and proof read this thing until your eyes hurt!!...other then that, I think you're on the right track my bru'vah. *thumbs up*

Keep up the good work -k-. Ya make us proud... *tear*...LOL. Anyway, let us know details in time, alrighty. And good luck! :)

Sivad said...

hey, hey, that was really good. and i'm probably one of the most anal people that you'll ever know. so best of luck to you!

Sivad said...

hey, hey, that was really good. and i'm probably one of the most anal people that you'll ever know. so best of luck to you!

..Sue...Zette... said...

Very impressive.