Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Gerald Has Left The Building....

Memphis, Memphis, Memphis...I don't know what else to say. Four years is enough for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the city that sits on the Mississippi to death...But to much of anything will kill your brain cells. It's all about moderation. There is a lot of things that tickle me about Memphis. Like the fact that people from the "Mound" act like they are not apart of the city of Memphis population. One of the biggest and most popular clubs in the city is sitting right beside a WAL-MART. The U of M or Memphis State (that's what the locals call it) looks like a majority white institution by day, but an HBCU by night (shot out to Towers). And I did not know going to school was a fashion show (Come On...Stilettos at 8 o'clock in the morning). It is also one of the only places in America that "posting up" is an art form. And if you go on Sparks, you will see the oldest porch monkey known to man (I'm just playing). It might sound like I'm bashing Memphis. That's not true. I love Memphis for the people. I never seen so many people of color in one city, that got it going on. I love the fact that I can go on any corner and find some good BBQ. Memphis has the cleanest water system in the country. Things such as Beale St., Midtown, and the tradition of Memphis Basketball makes this place special to me. I can truly say that I grew up here. I learned survival skills. I learned to tell from the truth and tainted. I've had a enormous spiritual "wake up" in these years The most important thing I learned and found was true love. This is the place that I met the ONE (Hopefully one day I can make her the ONE with the huge rock on her hand. I'll do it...I'll do it...You Know I'll Do It!). But I think I'm ready to move on and conquer another city...Just as soon as "Dr. Shirley" lets go of the Raines on my degree. But Memphis will always have a place in my heart and I hope it will always have a place for me...It may end up being my permanent home (I'm not counting it out)...I'll keep you posted

No comments: