Friday, June 25, 2004

Repeat After Me..."I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Have you ever known somebody that "thought" they were God's gift to the world of intellectuality. I have a prime example sitting in my World of Civilization Society Meeting that goes on Monday through Thursday, around noonish. They fit the typical Higher Education Know-It-All Stereotype. A lot of people don't know how to point them out. A lot of people look for the little kid that doesn't wear the trendy clothes, that looks like they can read through a wall with those items they call glasses. Every once in a while you will get one that fits in that category...That's more of the high school profile. But in the great land of "Higher Ed.", the profiles usually runs a little something like this; 1) middle age 2) military background 3) house wife coming back to finish up her degree 4) or the famous "I'm just taking classes to expand my knowledge" type brother or sister. Okay, now I want everybody to close your eyes, think about a class you took, and think about that one person that worked your nerves to the point you wanted to take out your ghetto pass and just.... Now does any of those people fit the profile. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking middle age individuals taking college courses. I think that is a wonderful thing. Just know your role. You are in the class for a reason. Act like it. Learn something more than the sound of your voice. Sometimes I just wish you would shut it. We pay the professor to do 2 things, to lecture and to give us our grades. I wish I could set up a class and put all of you all in it. There will be no professor there. Just you all, the syllabus, and the books (just in case ya'll need a few references). That sounds like a good idea. I think that would cut down on the freshmen dropout rate...I blame it on them...Scaring them damn kids half to death...The reason they came to college was to get away from their parents and now you show up...I'm just playing, just playing...Can you take a joke... Now, not all college olds heads are like that. I have ran into some really cool, calm, and collect cats (Shot out to Big Chris). But for you others, come in with a open mind to learn, because 99.9% of the time, you don't know anything any way...I'll keep you posted

No comments: