Friday, December 04, 2009

UN-Forced Development...

Hi...My name is Gerald...And I'm a people watcher. Not a people watcher in the creepy, report me to the E.S.I.A (End Stalking In America, Inc.) type of way...I enjoy watching people in motion. I get so inspired...From their style. One of the items on my mini bucket list...Wait...Now before I go in, let me explain...I have a bucket list (things I want to do before I lay it down for good)...Then I have a mini bucket list (things I want to do in the next 5 years). Where was I at? Oh...One of my items on my mini bucket list to take up photography. Not like Glamour Shots portrait studios photography...But I want to unleash my inner Scott Schuman. Have you ever heard of him? He is the creator of the popular blog "The Sartorialist". After leaving his position as director of men's fashion at his showroom to take care of his daughter in September 2005, he began carrying a digital camera around NYC and photographing people he saw on the street whose style he found interesting. He then posted these to his blog, sometimes with short comments, always either favorable or open-minded...He is well known for photographing what have been described as "real people". He says that the fashion world was really disconnected with reality. As he explains in his bio:
When I worked in the fashion industry (15 years), I always felt that there was a disconnect between what I was selling in the showroom and what I was seeing real people (really cool people) wearing in real life.
He now has an extremely well-respected blog, a monthly page in GQ, recurring guest blogs and videos for Style.com, and countless other exciting side projects. I want to give you a taste of some of his amazing work. Here are a few of my favorites.



MY ALL TIME FAVORITE...
The story behind this photo...The name of the post is "Not Giving Up, NYC"...And it goes like this...

I don't usually shoot homeless people. I don't find it romantic or appealing like a lot of street photographers, and if you asked homeless people they are probably not to happy about their situation either. That's why I was surprised to be so drawn to taking a picture of this gentleman. I was being interviewed for an article in British Vogue; and while we walked down Bowery back in April I barely stopped walking when I took the shot. Fiona Golfar, the writer, asked why I took the photo. At that moment I couldn't really explain - but I just had a feeling about the power and grace of how he was sitting there. It wasn't until later that night when I was working on the image that I realized why I had noticed this man. Usually people in this man's position have given up hope. Maybe this gentleman has too, I don't know, but he hasn't given up his sense of self or his sense of expressing something about himself to the world. In my quick shot I had noticed his pale blue boots, what I hadn't noticed at first were the matching blue socks, blue trimmed gloves, and blue framed glasses. This shot isn't about fashion - but about someone who, while down on his luck, hasn't lost his need to communicate and express himself through style.

Well for me...This picture speaks volumes...It takes me back to one of favorite Oscar Wilde quotes, "We are all from the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." When faced with trials and tribulations...Its so easy to give up and give in. But what God wants us to do is depend on him...And keep living. From the looks of this picture, life has sent him some heartaches. Life has sent him some rough times...But at the end of the day he is standing strong...Knowing that there is a Greater Power that will always provide. Well thats what I get from this picture...A sense of strength...

But you should check out some of his work...

...I'll keep you posted


No comments: